Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hello, my name is Catarina, and I am a Facebook addict.


True story. Every time I log on to my computer, I have to check my Facebook, even if I just checked it five minutes before. I don't know why I am so obsessed with it. Maybe it's the way I can know about everyone else's life, or the way I can document my own life, or the way I can express myself. Either way, Facebook has definitely taken over my entire existence.

Socially, Facebook is the ideal way to connect with friends and family. There's facebook chat to talk with someone and receive an answer right away. Inbox messaging allows people to talk to one another privately. Status updates let evryone know what you are doing at the moment. And my personal favorite is the picutres. I love being able to keep my pictures and videos from all the crazy times I have had in one place. And the best part about this is that friends can see what the other person is up to. Again, it is the ideal mode of connection.

However, Facebook can be a "Negative Nancy" at times. Even though it is safer than MySpace, Facebook does have some stalker qualities. Through a criminalist's eyes, Facebook is the devil. It is the reason that so many teenage girls are being raped by cyber creepers. Teenagers like to feel invincible, like nothing can hurt them. But the sad truth is that we immediately put ourselves in danger every time we walk out the door.

Don't worry. I am careful about who I accept friend requests from. I never click "Accept" if I do not know who they are. I mean, creepy YMCA members have friended me on facebook. NO. THANK. YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment