Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Call me a safe bet, I'm betting I'm not



The title above is an excerpt from "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" by Brand New. Brand New is my favorite band of all time. I discovered them a few years ago via my best friend, and we are hooked. Last November, we saw them in concert. IT WAS AWESOME! I bought a band shirt, and I wear it to bed every night, which is why I am posting something about Brand New. They escape with me to my dreams.

Brand New is mainly a rock band. They play a great deal of guitar, especially acoustic. But the thing that strikes me the most about them is that they don't sing about the usual crap most musicians do nowadays. They go beyond the everyday, sappy love song. They write about their own lives, and how they deal with the obstacles in life. I think Brand New is a perfect symbol of today's culture as it pertains to the younger audience. Brand New is rebellious, loud, emphatic, copacetic, joyous, sad, moody, and anything else that makes up a normal teenage girl or boy. The band members just want to connect with the younger generation, and is that not what our society and culture is all about? Think about it. Everything around us is all about influencing the next generation. Schools, advertisements, community centers, health facilities, and EVERYTHING ELSE. The world and the people in it want change, and they believe that the only way to change it is to convince the young ones to do it when they grow older.

It's all part of this universal culture. Brand New is just one more addition to that equation. They use their music to teach young people lessons in order to make the world a better place when they grow older. Their songs touch the listener. Brand New is named "Brand New" for a reason. Their initiative is to create a brand new way of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment