Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why is there a naked lady on your neck?


No, I do not mean literally. I have a necklace, and the pendant looks exactly like the lovely ladies above. This is one of the most important items I own. This necklace has climbed over 6,000 feet above the ground with me, has waded through the deepest rivers around my neck, and has slept under the stars in the middle of the woods. Where can you get all this cool stuff in one neat, little package? The Goddess program, of course.

The Goddess program was established at the Great Hollow Wilderness School in New Fairfield, CT. The program was created in order to empower young, high school girls and help them with their self-esteem. It is completely free of cost because no one can put a price on discovering who you truly are. But the program is not easy. It involves back-breaking mountain climbing with forty pounds strapped to your back, peeing and pooping in the woods, and completely fending for yourself. I know it sounds like a boot camp, but it was not established to criticize the girls or to make them have absolutely no fun at all. After five years and six Goddess adventures, summer at Goddess is the best fun I have all year.

Empowerment. Self-esteem. Self-image. Self-worth. Pride. Accomplishment. Adventure. Change. These are just a few things that the girls carry throughout the Goddess program. This program is the beginning of a cultural MOVEMENT. With every girl that experiences life in the wilderness, the Goddess program is leaving one more footprint on the path towards total empowerment for women all around the world. Even though a lot has changed for women throughout the years, there is still a lack of powerful sentiment. The Goddess girls are tired of seeing women abuse themselves, thinking that they are not good enough, pretty enough, strong enough, or GODDESS enough. We believe that we are all Goddesses on the inside. Strong, powerful warriors. It really is like a religion. Huh, wouldn't that be great if this program could inspire the creation of a new religion in the future?

Anyways, this program has changed me. My first trip was in 7th grade. I probably lost 5 pounds from all the sweat that left my body alone. But I made fabulous friends, and I learned that I really don't belong in the city. I hate the way the city is fake. It's as if nothing is real. Everything is man-made - buildings, roads, offices, stores, cars, PEOPLE. Not everyone realizes just how man-made they really are, subjecting themselves to the mold society has created for us. I broke that mold when I set my inner Goddess free.

As Goddesses, we not only want to see a change in the way women think about themselves but also in the way men think about women. Did you know that the word, "woman," was first made as a direct derivative from the word, "man?" And this is not a coincidence. The Bible's story of Adam and Eve states that Eve was created from Adam's ribs and skin. Without Adam, Eve never would have existed. Thus, the word "woman" was created to remind everyone that men own women. FALSE. The Goddesses want to change this ludacris assumption. Besides standing while peeing, women really can do anything that men can.

2 comments:

  1. Catarina, I am jealous. Get me in this program!!!
    -Genesis <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. go to the Women's Center of Greater Danbury, or call them, and ask for an application!
    it's such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete